Juliette Carr responds: Definitely wash and chop the burdock--don't peel it. You can grate it if you want but it will take...
Walden Heights Nursery & Orchard Apple Pie
- Ready in: 30 minutes of prep, 30 minutes in the oven
- Serves: 6
- Complexity: easy
This recipe has been provided by Walden Heights Nursery & Orchard. The apple pie is a the only dessert our son is allowed to have for breakfast.
- 2¼ cups of pastry flour
- 1 tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2½ pounds of apples (about 6)
- ¼ cup of flour
- Sugar, Maple Syrup and Cinnamon are optional
- Cut ½ pound of butter (2 sticks) or lard into the flour.
- When mixed well add ¹/3 cup cold water, just until the dough holds together.
- Roll out on a well floured surface until ¼” thick.
- Cut dough to fit bottom of 9” pie plate, fit bottom crust into pan. Fill with prepared apples (see recipe below).
- Attach top crust, press edges together and trim off excess. Cut slits in top crust for heat to escape.
- Cook at 425 °F until bubbles appear through slits in top crust, about 30 minutes.
Simple & Pure Apple Pie Filling:
- Slice apples and mix with flour in bowl. If you must, add sugar, maple syrup or cinnamon to taste.
- We prefer to leave our pie “naked” and let the apples express their own flavor and personality.