Juliette Carr responds: Definitely wash and chop the burdock--don't peel it. You can grate it if you want but it will take...
Marinated Asian Asparagus
- Ready in: 15 minutes
- Serves: 6
- Complexity: medium
Adapted from New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant (Ten Speed Press, 1987)
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus
- 1 Tbs. tamari
- 1 Tbs. toasted sesame oil
- pinch of sugar (optional)
- 2 tsp. vinegar, or more to taste
- 1 Tbs. Mirin (can substitute dry sherry)
- 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger root
1. Whisk together marinade ingredients and set aside.
2. Remove tough ends of asparagus. Ease into a pot of boiling water and cook for only a minute or two after water returns to a boil, until tender but crisp. Drain immediately, cover with cold water to stop the cooking process, then drain again.
3. Cover with marinade. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds or gomasio (optional).
The asparagus can be eaten immediately or within a couple of hours. It is delicious warm, at room temperature, or cold.