Juliette Carr responds: Definitely wash and chop the burdock--don't peel it. You can grate it if you want but it will take...
Fennel Onion Soup
- Ready in: 30 minutes prep; 30 minutes to cook
- Serves: 6
- Complexity: medium
Truth is, there are few savory dishes that wouldn’t improve with the right part of the fennel plant added at the right stage.
- 1 tb. olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- ½ tsp. salt
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- croutons (optional)
- shredded hard cheese of choice—parmesan,
- romano, etc. (optional)
In a medium saucepan, sauté the onion, fennel, salt, and olive oil over medium high heat, until the vegetables start to brown. Add the broth and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 30 minutes until the vegetables are cooked through and the flavor has permeated the broth. Serve with croutons and shredded cheese.