Juliette Carr responds: Definitely wash and chop the burdock--don't peel it. You can grate it if you want but it will take...
Fall Apple Meatballs
- Ready in: 20 minutes prep; 25 bake minutes
- Serves: 8
- Complexity: medium
Meatballs are infinitely adaptable to whatever ingredients are in season or on hand and are a fantastic way to stretch a single pound of ground beef or pork into little balls of yumminess. Original recipe by Claire Fitts.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil or butter
- 1/2 cup minced cabbage
- 1/4 cup minced celery or celeriac
- 1 small apple, minced (skin on or off)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 small carrot, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup bread crumbs
1) Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and grease liberally.
2) In a large pan, over medium heat, sauté together the olive oil, cabbage, celeriac, apple, onion, carrot, salt, and pepper until vegetables have softened. Let cool.
3) In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a fork until well combined. Add the ground beef, bread crumbs, and vegetables and mix until everything is evenly incorporated.
4) Roll the mixture into approximately 26 evenly sized, 1.5-inch balls and space evenly on the prepared cookie sheet. Bake meatballs for 25 minutes or until they’re cooked through, rotating the tray once at 15 minutes or so.